First Jury Presidents Announced for Cannes Lions 2018
January 29, 2018
Motivate Val Morgan is the official representative of the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity in the UAE.
The Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity has released the names of the first 2018 Jury Presidents. The selected group of industry leaders are tasked with judging the best work in the world to win Lions, alongside their jury teams.
Jose Papa, Managing Director of Cannes Lions, said, “With all the changes we’ve introduced to the awards architecture, this year’s Jury Presidents have joined at an exciting time of renewal for the Festival. Every one of our Presidents is a leader in their field and I’m sure that the 2018 juries will be ably directed under their expert guidance.”
Jury Presidents for Lions within the Communications, Good, Entertainment, Health and Impact tracks are confirmed as follows:
COMMUNICATIONS – The big creative idea, where campaigns are brought to life through brilliant partnerships, people and storytelling.
- Film Lions – David Lubars, Chief Creative Officer, BBDO Worldwide, Chairman BBDO North America. This will be David’s fourth term as a Jury President and sixth appearance overall on a Cannes Lions jury.
- Radio & Audio Lions – Jo McCrostie, Creative Director, Global. Jo McCrostie has won five Radio Lions since 2012 and been a member of two Radio juries to date.
- Print & Publishing Lions – Kate Stanners, Chairwoman & Global Chief Creative Officer, Saatchi & Saatchi. Kate made her first jury appearance in 2005 on the Film Lions Jury. This will be her first term as a Jury President.
- Outdoor Lions – Chris Garbutt, Chief Creative Officer, TBWA. Chris has won multiple Lions, including a Grand Prix in 2013. He returns to the Outdoor jury as President, a decade after his Festival debut on the same jury in 2007.
- Design Lions – Johnny Tan, Executive Creative Director APAC, 72andSunny. Johnny served on the inaugural Entertainment jury in 2016.
- Mobile Lions – Jay Morgan, Innovations Director, The Monkeys. Jay took part in his first jury in 2014 while at Havas Worldwide Australia. This is his first Festival in the role of Jury President.
- Titanium Lions – Colleen DeCourcy, Chief Creative Officer, Wieden + Kennedy. Colleen was a Jury President for Cyber in 2017, having already served on the Cyber jury twice before. She also lent her expertise to the Titanium Jury in 2007.
GOOD – Going beyond brand purpose to use creative communications to shift culture, create change and positively impact the world.
- Sustainable Development Goals Lions – Mark Tutssel, Global Chief Creative Officer, Leo Burnett Worldwide and Creative Chairman, Publicis Communications. Mark served on his first Cannes Lions jury in 2001. This will be his third outing as a Jury President.
- Glass: The Lion for Change – Madonna Badger, Founder and Chief Creative Officer, Badger & Winters. Madonna served on the Glass jury in 2016. The following year she helped Festival organisers develop guidelines to identify objectification in work entered into competition.
ENTERTAINMENT – Celebrating creativity that goes beyond branded communications to create authentic entertainment that engages consumers and impacts culture.
- Entertainment Lions – Debbi Vandeven, Global Chief Creative Officer, VML. Debbi makes her debut as Jury President, having served on the Promo & Activation jury in 2014.
- Entertainment Lions for Music – Lori Feldman, EVP Strategic Marketing, Warner Bros. Records. Lori first served on a jury in 2017.
HEALTH – Celebrating creativity in branded communications in this highly innovative but fiercely regulated sector with the unique power to truly change lives.
- Health & Wellness Lions – John Fidelino, Executive Creative Director, InterbrandHealth. R. John is a Lions Health veteran, serving on the Health & Wellness jury in 2015 and the Pharma jury in 2017.
- Pharma Lions – Rich Levy, Chief Creative Officer, FCB Health. In addition to serving on the both the Health & Wellness and Pharma juries in the past, Rich was also a speaker at the first ever Lions Health in 2014.
IMPACT – Celebrating commercial creative effectiveness and the techniques used to measure and impact branded communications.
- Creative Effectiveness Lions – Fernando Machado, Global Chief Marketing Officer, Burger King. As a marketer who believes in the commercial power of creativity, Fernando has been involved with four Grand Prix-winning campaigns including ‘McWhopper’ for Burger King and ‘Real Beauty Sketches’ for Dove.
The Festival opened for entries on 18 January with a final deadline of 20 April. The 2018 edition of Cannes Lions runs 18-22 June. Visit the Cannes Lions website for more information.
Source: Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity